Saturday 18 March 2017

A Taste Of Sunderland: Restaraunt Week Preview

So if you read my last post about Sunderland Restaurant Week you'll be familiar with what is to follow. If you missed it (you can read about it here), let me fill you in. Last year, Sunderland hosted their first ever Sunderland Restaurant Week which celebrated what the city has to offer in eateries. sprinkled with offers and deals giving people the opportunity to try lots of different dishes. So it's up again for year number to, and to show you all what they're offering I got to test out a few of the establishments involved. Just like last time, we started off at Café Purple - which is a 2 minute walk from the metro station for people travelling by public transport. We started off with an array of cocktails, if you're looking for insta shots, this is your place!




 
 
 
After the delicious cocktails, we were presented with an antipasti sharing board. This had a selection of cheeses, meats, fruit, dipping sauces, carrots & nuts. I didn't know where to start but their last cheese board was amazing so I dove in! I would recommend this if you're looking just to snack with the girls over a few drinks or if you're looking for a lovely sharing starter before a main dish. The blue cheese is so moreish and paired with the fruit and dips this has something for everyone...
 


 
 
 
 
Moving on from Café Purple, we then headed to Royale Thai. A restaurant which we did not visit last time round so this was a new experience. We were brought wine to the table - I love a glass of red when eating. We waited for the food to arrive which were sharing platters with a little of everything including spring rolls, chick satays, fish & golden dumplings.
 
 


 
 
My personal favourites were the spring rolls and the chicken satays!
 


 
 
After scoffing starters we gallivanted to next on the agenda. City Bistro which is ran by Sunderland College's culinary students. On entering, the scene is set with low lighting, tables set beautifully with wine glasses and cutlery and ambient music playing in the background. For me, this was a lovely setting to dine in. It truly felt like a top restaurant and you wouldn't even think this is ran by student. We were presented with a menu and we got to pick from a selection. I went for the cod with cauliflower, fondant potato, herb crumb & parley cream whilst others opted for a chicken breast or vegetarian leek option.
 
 



 
 
The cod was cooked to absolute perfection, a little over seasoned on the skin side for my liking but I that's just preference. The fondant potato and parley cream were the perfect accompaniment for the cod. A dish I would recommend hands down and also would recommend taking a visit if you've never ventured there yourself.
 



 
 
If you're loving the look of this place, it makes for a lovely venue for special occasions as they do taster menus from 5, 7 or 10 courses. 5 courses is £30, 7 comes in at £38 and then a whopping 10 courses for just £45. Considering the quality of the food, paired with the setting and attention to detail I think the prices are superb for an alacarte style menu. I think this seriously is a hidden gem in Sunderland if you're looking for fine dining in a city setting, City Bistro is one to watch.
 

 
 
Moving on from City Bistro, we went to Port of Call. This was visited last time around but not for desserts. I ordered a black coffee after all of the food I needed a little caffeine kick! Then with pancake day on the horizon we ordered pancakes with a selection of toppings. I opted for the traditional lemon & sugar.
 
 

 
 
Whilst waiting for pancakes to arrive, a dessert board arrived - basically a sugar overload! This included cakes, missispi mud pie... I think?? And an oreo jar filled with Oreo goodness. I tried the chocolate cake which reminded me of the cake from fave childhood movie, Matilda. Chocolate cake. Needs no explination, good and chocolatey. I didn't dare try anything else but temptation crossed my mind! I awaited my pancakes but after a long day and then the clock ticking late in the evening with slow service I had to leave before they arrived. Which was a shame considering the dessert board but it had been quite some time...
 



 
 
 Until next time...
 
 
X
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment