Monday 1 August 2016

Harissa Kitchen: Tasty Flavours & Chocolate Surprise

You all know, eating out is my favourite thing to do. So I've been eating out once again after being invited to a lovely new eatery in Newcastle. Harissa Kitchen invited me down last week so I thought I'd go along and see what all the fuss was about.
 
 
 
 
Nestled in a little pocket of Sandyford (about a 3 minute walk from Jesmond metro) this perfectly minimal restaurant sits. Easily accessible: Check. Beautiful Exterior: Check. Harissa Kitchen aim to provide food which is healthy, fresh, and free from any unnecessary fats, sugars and also sourced locally if possible. They even have their own allotment for fresh veggies!! I'm currently on a new journey of fitness and trying to create a stronger mind as well as body so a place like this is great. Lots of healthy dishes packed with flavour.... And they do takeaway too. Perfect.
 
 
 
 
On entering this lovely place, the décor is the first thing you notice. The white wash walls matched with hints of yellow and blue, sprinkled with greenery give the illusion that you're on holiday submerged in the Mediterranean.   
 

 
 
 We were greeted by the lovely owner who was very friendly and instantly offered us a drink. I opted for water with ice.

 
 
 
Love these cushions (and they're surprisingly comfy to sit against)
 

 
 
Even the napkins are white & blue! The attention to detail in this place is so great, they're really aware of their brand.
 
 
 
 
Once the drinks had arrived, we were served with a selection of marinated olives, Harissa house pickles, & spiced roasted nuts (£2.50 each.) The pickled veg were so yummy (reminded me a little of pickled veg common in Japanese cooking, olives I'm a huge fan of so these scored points with me and the nuts were so unexpected... I thought they'd be salty but they had a lovely soft mixture of honey flavours.

 
 
 
I choose the chicken breast kebab which is garnished with Harissa spicy yoghurt & chargrilled orange (£8.80). It was served on a bed of cous cous mixed with herbs. This was so tasty and the yoghurt was a nice change instead of a regular sauce or paste. I shared a table with the lovely Laura from lookatmyclothes.co.uk and we ordered a side of chargrilled halloumi (£4.50), tahini (yum) and steamed broccoli (£3.50).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I loved the way this kebab was served. I expected it to either be on a skewer or wrapped up but this was a great way to eat is as you can really explore all of the different flavours. After digging in I realised the chicken was cooked to absolute perfection! I also enjoyed dipping my flatbread in the tahini dip (made from sesame seeds which I have indulged in on many trips to Cyprus.)

 
 
 
 
 
 
  The broccoli was delicious... I am a lover of vegetables so this place was great for my taste buds. The steamed broccoli is seasoned with chilli sauce and toasted sesame seeds. Another twist of flavours which are delicious.

 
 
 
So just when I thought I had finished... they offered desserts. And of course, it would have been rude not to try something they had to offer. The chocolate ganache was new to the menu so it's not on there but we were offered it. I took the risk and I'm so glad I did. Super yummy & so moreish!


 
 
Rich chocolate flavour with a dash of tangy lemon & cream...


 


 
 
Reasonably priced and a great company ethos of healthy food which is fresh and close to home.  
 
 
 
 
They have a few pieces which have been made by local artists which makes me fall even more in love with this place & what they stand for! They have a lovely oxidised copper light & they also have some beautiful gold leafed tiles & exterior signage by traditional sign writer Ashley Willerton, who is super talented so check him out! (Didn't manage to get any photos of the tiles as I was swept away by the warm welcome & food) but if you call by, take a peak. 
 

 
 
The network of Edison bulbs create a soft inviting glow as the city begins to lose lights. I'd test anyone to pass and not feel the urge to go sit in this cool little place. Oh, and their music game is totally on point.... The chilled out vibes are all over this. Just what I need.

This was a perfect time to catch up with Jen, Ruth, Nicola & Suzanne. Can't wait for the next catch up.

 

 Until next time...
 
 
X
 

No comments:

Post a Comment